And so here become a problem of the world that I have to solve rather urgently too apparently.... how do we each children Bible stories. We sanitize them. We show that Noah was a righteous man of God who made a lapse in judgement with Ham. And David was a man of God's on heart - yet he ordered hurrenderous crimes out of sheer lust. I listened to the teach one of the days of VBS and it is no cricism of the leader because they are following the script. But... "God always protects us" does he? For years I prayed that God would deliver me from my enemy. May be God did protect me from what was worse... maybe God protected my soul. But he didn't protect me against what happened. How do you say to a child that ultimately, God will protect your life - your eternal life and the he will never leave you. But that GOd will not necessarily protecting you from loosing your loved ones, health, broken hearts, family problems, addiction and abuse. Even if you pray. He may allow us to go through these things and in his sovereignty is bringing it to further grow and impact his community. Is there not a way to tell it as it - God loves us. We will go through times. We will feel that God has abandoned us. God may protect us when we pray for portection.
But I know that there is one little girl who is devastated for having prayed every night and believing that God would protect her. And he didn't. To this day this little girl is working out her faith journey as many are. But this one remains a puzzle for her.
1 comment:
Elizabeth, this is something I've been thinking about too. I've been helping out by teaching a Sunday school class to 6-8 year olds the last few months at church, and though we use lessons from a book, I have a difficult time following the outlines to a T...but maybe for different reasons than you: my first lesson was supposed to be about Sodom and Gomorrah which included reading the whole portion from the Bible. What a rough topic to begin with! After that, every week I have to tweak the lessons because of my desire to be absolutely true to the text. I'm all for using your imagination (and prompting the kids to use theirs by asking, "I wonder what he was thinking?" Or "Do you think he was angry when they said that?") but I don't like the little additions to the story that we're supposed to read that say things like, "And as God had commanded, they left the city bringing with them Lot and his whole family, whom they took to another beautiful place. (End of story.)" What beautiful place? The cave where his daughters committed incest? :-p And his whole family...what about Lot's wife?
This week's lesson was about Jesus choosing His disciples:
"After that, Jesus invited other people who had different jobs to join Him. The person's profession was not important to Jesus, but He didn't call anyone who was not doing anything. This teaches us that we can fulfill our obligations (go to school, do our chores at home like helping with the dishes, the housework, the laundry, tidying up our rooms, watching the baby, etc.) and still serve Jesus."
Well...in a way that's true. But I don't believe that particular portion of the Bible teaches that at all...everyone of those LEFT their jobs to follow Jesus, right?
Post a Comment