Sunday, September 19, 2010

Path of Thorns

Sometimes I have no words in me. That is how I feel now. Words seem not enough, or lost. I am a writer and to be at a loss of words causes me additional stress. I think words provide a sense of companionship with others. When I have words, others can understand, as much as anyone can understand another. Words provide a commonality - we all have had experiences of "joy", "sad" and "excitement". Words are the means by which we convey our experiences. And so, without words, I feel alone in the world. Of course, I am not alone. I have people in my life who love me. And I do know this. But when I do not have words, I feel alone.

So I turn to others to find words. To poetry, memoirs, academic books on the topic of what I'm going through, and lyrics.

So here, today, i found lyrics that give me words. They are from Sarah McLaughlin's song "The Path of Thorns. As with many lyrics, the original context of the words may not fit so much. But I find hope in such songs because I feel that God gives me a gift by having a song that helps me put words or makes me see that God does take notice. Some of these lyrics hit me like they are God's words to me.... others hit me as my words to God. Perhaps these lyrics will mean something different to you than they do for me. Or perhaps they have no meaning at all. But these words speak to me today when I have no words of my own.

I knew you wanted to tell me
In your voice there was something wrong
But if you would turn your face away from me
You cannot tell me you're so strong
Just let me ask of you one small thing
As we have shared so many tears
With fervor our dreams we planned a whole life long
Now are scattered on the wind...


There's no more coming back this way
The path is overgrown and strewn with thorns
They've torn the life-blood from your naked eyes
Cast aside to be forlorn...

No comments: