Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Bounce

Yesterday was one of those days where everything came caving in. I attempted to make bread in the evening to cheer me up, and in the process flour spilled everywhere. I misread the directions (a common occurrence even for chefdecuisine!). And each step of the bread that I chose required time in between. By the end of the evening, I heaved a big "ARGH!"

Some of my lovely youth from the summer know me well. They saw my facebook status and suggested coffee as a remedy. One youth teased me for my caffeine addiction, to which i replied "Give me coffee, Give me book to read, let me cook and I will be happy". So today, with a medium double double in my hand I waited for a bus with my book and with fond memories of the taste of the cracked wheat bread I had made the night before and realized how true my statement was. I grinned ear to ear as I thought of how simple it was for me to regain a bounce in my step!

Give me coffee, give me books, give me cooking.... and I am happy.

I was thinking tonight about what is the first to go when I am busy, sad or stressed - cooking and books (nevermind coffee - as the youth will tell you, you do not want to cross paths with me unless i have caffeine in me! that is my one staple throughout all seasons of life!). And what is it that I crave the most during those difficult times - to cook and to read.

It seems so simple. Yet, time and time again I am blind to my own needs.

Now I'm not about to say that coffee, books, and food are the solution to my problems. But i do think I need time on a regular basis to feed on words and to recreate through cooking. Without these things, I quickly become discouraged and discontent. Its like these things buoy me up so that I can better handle the storms of life.

They give me bounce. They do not solve. but add a rhythm to my step, a song to my gait.

No comments: