Thursday, October 06, 2011

Accept Me

I love the honesty and realness that comes from being around homeless and street involved people. I love hanging out with them and can genuinely call them my friends. They make me laugh, they make me feel loved and welcome, they challenge me. It's been such a good fit for me to be there for the drop in and other events. I love that I can use my passion for cooking as a vehicle to serve with and get to know other members of this beautiful community.

Yesterday the members of Camino House (my home) went for a Taize service at PNC. The Taize Community (www.taize.fr) is an intentional monastic community in France. Their music is comprised of simple chants, mostly direct quotes with scripture. They try to use as little words as possible. It is meditative and reflective and meaningful.

At one point in the service, we were invited to pray aloud or silently for ourselves or for others we know.

One man who I've spent time chatting with started sharing.

And then he said, "Lord, I have made lots of mistakes. But I ask that you please accept me"

Tears welled up in my eyes at this moment of humility and beauty.

No comments: