Today is the last day of my 'vacation'. It has not been a typical vacation. There has been much pain, and time has spent recovering from a painful event on Friday. A week is not enough with all that I have had to process. But today has been a quiet day of reading, organizing, reflecting and writing. So far, today has been a good day and I am enjoying my last day of vacation.
One of the fallouts from Friday has been a painful realization that, at least for the time being, I have lost things that are so very dear to me. Approaching Friday I had hoped and hoped to see a glimmer of change, some sort of sign that showed me that I really had not lost all. So today I read the following, which was quite timely in my life.
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy, He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
- 1 Peter 1:3-5
It is encouraging to know that what I have in Christ is something that can never perish, spoil or fade. It seems that everything else can be shattered in a day. I had hoped that Friday would be the day that I would get a glimpse of some hope. I looked so hard for this. I came away saying that my only hope is that Christ is in this somehow. If He is not, there cannot possible be anything but despair. The denial, bitterness, lies and anger is so great that I think it is beyond human power - theirs or mine. But the one hope I have - Christ - is something that cannot be spoiled or fade or perish. The inheritance is kept for me. But more than that - I am shield by faith through God's power. What an encouragement this is - no one can take this away from me.
How wonderful it is to know that there is one thing that can never be destroyed or ruined or tainted. Once again, I found comfort in the words of St. Peter. The evil one may take everything of this world away from me, he might slay my soul, he might attack my thoughts. But really - all this doesn't matter. Because the God who is unchangeable lives in me. And this is protected by the shield of faith of God's power.
No comments:
Post a Comment