The seniors here have successfully captured my heart. There is one little old Scottish lady who is dreadfully confused but is so cute when she gets excited about something. Then there is a Portueguese man who greets me with a hug each time he sees me. Then there are those who have made it their job to encourage me and help me to know that I am appreciated here. Some of the staff are pretty delightful too. There are a few who look out for me and who would do anything I ask of them. Above and beyond sometimes! But the occassional grump meets my path and we collide.
I have learned though that humour goes a long way. Each day I tell a joke at lunch - some corny groaner that elicits groans, boos and sometimes a ripping laughter in the dining hall. Yesterday one grumpy man asked me at the end of a long day "What's up?" Without thinking, I turned around and said "the sky". He laughed at me, for he says I always have a joke to tell. Today he has smiled when he sees me. One other woman who obsessively needs to be in the know of everything and anything going on used to be quick to tell me when something was wrong with what I did. She thought jokes were childish and didn't belong in a place like this. So I made it my mission to tease her. After a year of knowing her, she now comes to me for help or to explain things, and truly seems to value my work and personality.
I make sure that everyone I bump into, I at the very least say hello. I try to notice when someone is wearing a nice piece of jewelry or when staff do something that helps me. Humour goes a long way too. Especially with people who are generally not appreciated. In my position, I get tons of praise. But I have worked for many many years as a receptionist who is subclass to those with "Dr." in front of their name. Without the housecleaning staff and the receptionist and the cooking staff, this place could not run. Nor could my programs. so I think it's important to build a good relationship with those who could be your biggest helpers or your most destructive enemies!
Another thing I've been learning is that with seniors, effort speaks more than perfection. Of course, there is always at least one senior who notices my mistakes (but then i usually tease with "well, we can't be perfect all the time, now can we?"). But when the seniors see the work I put into my position and the events, they are forgiving and gracious even as I fumble about. Yesterday, I held my second big tea party. The last was on Victoria day and this was a "Christmas" tea party. It was quite successful if I am allowed to say that! Huge turn out, lots of laughter, lots of good times. The event cost me all of $15 for over 35 people to enjoy. It is the talk of the tower today. There were activities, silly prizes wrapped, music and more. A couple of people generously volunteered their time. No one wanted to leave - which I think is the highest compliment that I could receive. The first tea party was what first let the seniors know that I put thought and love into my work.
Between tease and teas, i have won the hearts of the 100 seniors here and they have stolen mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment