Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Intricate Details


Sometimes I doubt God's presence in my life and wonder if he is really here, if he is listening, if he is noticing me. And then I have experiences that remind me that he is here in a way that totally blows me a way.

On January 1, I was admitted to the hospital because I am struggling with depression and post traumatic stress disorder. I have since found out that patients are assigned to psychiatrists based on who has a bed open. On a busy holiday day, I get assigned to the director of inpatient care who is super and has an excellent resident- what are the chances of that?

They have spent time finding out details of my life, while other patients complain that their doctors don't listen to more than just how medication is working (or not working for that matter).

They have tried to help with my family situation... by communicating with my mother, by facilitating conversations, by listening to my hurt and pain and by suggesting new ways to look at things.

They really get the amount of pain that I am in.

The main doctor has connections with trauma specialists because he is the director of care which may speed up the referral process.

They have been generous in their time to follow up with me and to check in at various times and to talk with my close friends.

The kitchen is now delivering yoghurt at every meal - my ultimate favourite food - something that I find too expensive to have on a regular basis but never get sick of when I do.

These are just a few of the details that have been looked after.... just a few of the intricate details.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

It's good to hear about you again Elizabeth. I've been wondering what you've been up to.
You're always in my prayers.

-Shannon