Soren Kierkegaard eloquently describes the journey of faith as living on the strength of the Absurd. The Christian journey is one of valleys and peaks and filled with many joys and many doubts. These are the thoughts of one who walks this journey as she works out her faith in fear and trembling
Monday, May 09, 2011
Daily Bread
I was reading C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, the other day and a paragraph talking about our need to ask God for our daily bread stood out to me. As many people know, I am impatient when it comes to the future. I want answers now, and I worry about the days to come. There are many unknowns right now... should I go back to school? what sort of job should I get? And there are family issues that are a huge weight on my heart. But Lewis was describing how we need to pray for just today's bread. It reminded me of Matthew 6:34: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." So today I was challenged with the idea that God will give us our daily bread... not bread for today and tomorrow, but enough for today. And that I need to trust that it is both enough and that he will provide again tomorrow.
Labels
Daily Bread,
Lewis,
Worry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment