Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Shepherd Chief

I have been going though boxes of stuff, getting rid of anything that I have not used or do not foresee myself needing in the near future. I have a few boxes of stuff to deliver to good will! It has been good to declutter! Anyways, I was going through some old notes that I have saved - some from when I was around 8 or 9 years old! I found something that my Grandma had written - she was sharing her testimony with a group of people and she thought that I would enjoy reading it. Since she has since been promoted to Glory, I am thankful that this is something that I kept. As I read it, tears came and memories of sitting in my grandparent's living room hearing tales of Grandma and the war. I wish now that at such a young age I valued more those times and treasured them. I wish too that I had written down the stories so that I could continue to enjoy them. In rereading my Grandma's story, I was reminded of her great faith and how faithful she was at praying. Whenever I would stay over night, I got a taste of morning prayer with them after breakfast. They would pray for all the family by name and for those in need. A beautiful example indeed.

At the beginning of her written testimony, she shared an interpretation of Psalm 23 by an Indian Chief that had impacted her. I do not know the actual author, but I wanted to share the words as I found them powerful and comforting.

The Great Spirit above is a Shepherd Chief.
I am His and with Him I want not.
He throws on to me a rope and the name of the rope is Love
And He draws me very tenderly to where the grass is green and the waters not dangerous
And I eat and lie down satisfied.

Sometimes my heart is very week and it falls down
But He lifts it up again and draws me into a good road,
For His name is Wonderful.
Sometime, it may be soon, it may be longer, it may be a long, long time,
He will draw me into a narrow place between mountains.
It is very dark there but I'll not turn back
And I'll not be afraid for it is there between the mountains that the Shepherd Chief will meet me
And all the hunger I have felt in my heart in this life will be satisfied.
Sometimes He turns the love rope into a whip
But afterwards He gives me a staff to lean on.

He spreads a table before me with all kinds of food.
He puts His Hand on my head and all the tiredness is gone.
He fills my cup till it runs over.
What I say is true, it is no lie.
These roads which are away ahead will stay with me through this life
And afterwards I will go to live in the Big Camp
And sit down with the Shepherd Chief for ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew you grandma and she was a wonderful lady. When I would arrive at church I always looked to see if she was there and she usually always was. That would make things ok. Everything was right in the world. I miss her.