Monday, March 14, 2011

True Security

More people have found out about my hospitalization and the response has brought some tears. Not real tears. Not bad tears. But good tears forming in my eyes. For I am worth something to them. But more than that - I have made a difference in their lives. I have encouraged, inspired and challenged them through my story. Is this not what I said the other day is what I want? I want my story to reflect who God is - and as I tell it, it is doing this. Also, people have written to me that my presence on facebook, church and work is sorely missed. I matter to people. More than I ever thought.

So I got thinking about "hope" today. Between the sunshine and my realization, I'm feeling pretty good and hopeful today. Here are my thoughts on Colossians today:

"because what you hope for is kept safe for you in heaven..."
- Colossians 1:5a

Part of my depression lately has been about the instability that this life holds. I have lost many relationships because of the abuse. In January, I wanted to give up because their are no guarantees in life - I may lose everything, and may lose everything in a devastating way. I wanted some control over the potential losses. I often feel like I have been given the short stick in life circumstances. It seems that if there is something to lose, I lose it.

But this verse reminds me of something very important - all of the things that God promises are eternal. And they are secure. Nothing can take them away from me. The evil one may try to convince me that these things are lost, but Christ promises that these things are kept safe for me in heaven.

If in nothing else, I can hope in this security!

1 comment:

Sue said...

I really love Steve Bell's music he really gets The Christian life. I believe surrounding one's self with inspiring words really makes a difference. I find music lifts up my soul when the cares of this world try to bring it down. I have always admired you and thought what I great talented person you are. I know my son loves spending time with you. You are great with kids!